dijous

Dublin !!!

My experience in Dublin
Last year, I was studying first year of compulsory education in Dublin.
The idea of going one year abroad came from myself, but I never had been brave enough before. So, I went on and told my parents about going a year to a different place to learn a language, such as English or Dutch. They found it incredible and after that, they would do everything for me to go. It was a great opportunity to go there, and I was lucky that I could do it, because not everybody can afford it. I still feel very lucky about having spent one year in a foreign country. The idea started with Holland, England, America or Dublin. Holland because I’m half Dutch and it could have been a chance for me to perfection my Dutch. After some time thinking about where to go, Dublin was the choice.
The course started earlier than here, so the 1st of September I was already coursing what there is 5th year. I loved the way they choose subjects instead of batxillerat, so I was studying chemistry and art! Physics and history of art!
The school was very different from the ones in Spain. In Dublin you had to wear a uniform, and we were not allowed to wear a jacket that was not the school one. People were very civilized in class and teachers spoke very loud in difference from everybody. Nearly every class was done with power point presentations. All the science subjects where given in the corresponding laboratories. Each morning there was an assemble at 8:50 to 9:00, some days they even had a mass, I never believed in god but it was cool to skip class.
What I most remember from Dublin is the weather. Oh my god! It’s just crazy! So Crazy! It might be sunny for a few minutes, but then it’s enough! You have seen enough sun for a week! And what follows? Rain, rain, rain, as if I didn’t know what rain was! All the day the weather reminded me of that! I never cared about brushing my hair there, I think I kept the routine and that’s the reason why I look a bit disheveled. There was no point of doing anything with your hair, the minute you left the house it was all curly. Still so Dublin was a wonderful country for five minutes, (when it was sunny). It’s such a green country! I always loved to walk to school, and that says a lot because it was a 40 minutes walk! But it was a nice walk though morning used to be a bit foggy. Winter was the worst time out there. It hadn’t snowed for 14 years, and just when I’m there, it has to snow… I really hated it! It was cold enough to also wet your feet and then be in school the whole day with frozen feet. However everyone was so excited… I couldn’t stop shiver. The only good thing snow brought me, was that I couldn’t go to school for two days and one we played snow wars.
Dublin was the best and the worst together. Like everything at the beginning, it was the best. I loved being on my complete own, without knowing anybody and starting to meet people. It filled me a lot to make friends the first days. The first weekend I was already going out with girls! And the following I was already in a house party with whom now is one of my best friends. The first time just flew, so many parties, so much shopping, so many friends… The second term changed things a lot. After Christmas it got very very cold, really cold, I’m not exaggerating. The cold, and that it was getting dark around 4 o’clock didn’t help much at being happy. I had to study for my exams in May and I started an English course for the first certificate. The friends group from school got separated a lot and so, I got very close with all the Irish people. Well, also a very good friend went back to Italy and that made me very sad and I missed her a lot in class. I had friends in school, but my friends were in 6th year! Anyway people were very nice to me, and I loved my chemistry teacher. She was a fabulous teacher and always laughed at my English mistakes such as:
(Dennis is splashing Marta with water)
Marta: Dennis! Stop making me wet!!!!!!!!
Well, obviously I didn’t know the meaning of that before.. if not I wouldn’t have said that. And other things I confused once:
Fact for fuck (the pronunciation)
But after those mistakes, I went very careful. LOL
Well, to conclude with, I would say Dublin was a great experience. I have learned a lot, but not just English, also about life itself. I have learned about how people can be, my own mistakes, to be independent… I would recommend anybody to go one year abroad if they have the chance because it’s unbelievable. You also see what really is important to you, what or who you miss… It’s just wonderful, I would repeat it but maybe in an other place who knows.
As a good thing you always keep your friends, I’m going back to Dublin very soon. Somehow I need it, to fill me of the Irish people and drinking, and I miss listening to that Irish lilt.
My advice is, if you get the chance: JUST DO IT!;)

2 comentaris:

  1. Hi Marta!

    After reading your long Dublin report, it seems you really enjoyed it. I agree with you that such a stay abroad in unforgettable and you learn a lot from the people there. Well, I’ve been in Chester for only two weeks, but it was also great. Even so I don’t know if I were brave enough to say: I want to live for on year in … wherever. Wow, I admire you for this. And I notice you’ve changed since I knew you from 4th of ESO, you’re friendlier, more hard studying and even more polite, a really great classmate!

    See you!

    ResponElimina
  2. Hi there!
    I really do envy you! I would love to go to Ireland or anywhere to live for a year!
    You must of made many firends and improved a lot of your English!

    As you know, my parents went to Dublin 3 weeks ago...
    They said it was lovely! Great views, friendly people and quite hard to understand them!

    C u in class

    Robin

    ResponElimina